Thursday, May 11, 2006

Dali would have been 98 today.



I have seen this painting. It resides in this museum that is devoted to Dali. He has always been one of my favorite artists, probably my top favorite, and quite a fascinating character too. Here are a few quotes from him:

Surrealism is destructive, but it destroys only what it considers to be shackles limiting our vision.

Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since.

I don't take drugs: I am drugs.

...and the one that has driven me all these years, providing guilt motivation worthy of a mother...

No masterpiece was ever created by a lazy artist.

Not that I am an artist... Many years ago, I was. I have long since sold out to the devil that tells you to be a responsible person, pay the rent, stay out of jail, remain on the path, and keep your madness in check. But I still admire Dali.

No comments: