Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Off the tourist path

We wanted to try out Davine Foods, a veggie restaurant that was advertised in the Chronicle and said it was located inside The Enchanted Forest. I was expecting maybe a quaint, stylish little cubby-hole, and didn't know anything about the Enchanted Forest. It was truly Austin Weird in the best way. Looks to be an artist colony or at least an ongoing art project, like a junkyard where everything is joined to the things they are most unlikely to be part of. A suitcase filled with a rectangular nest full of broken eggs. An elevated agave planter made from old metal folding chairs arranged like flower petals, and surrounded with toilet planters. A huge sailboat under a canopy. (I don't think that one was intended to be art.) A wall made out of old busted televisions, and much more. The above picture was my favorite thing: the phone booth! They were getting ready for their annual Halloween bash, which I might consider if I could get Mr.B into a costume. I gave up on that a few years back.

Davine Foods was a little kitchen in an Airstream that is parked there, and the food was wonderful!! I had to practically share mine with a bee, which is the main reason I don't like eating outdoors. We'll have to go back there, maybe after the first freeze. Highly recommended.

4 comments:

Neil Shakespeare said...

I sure am impressed with you. You find the most interesting places. Love that "Wall O' TV's" idea. They didn't perchance was a "Wall O' PC's" too, did they? I have a few I'd like to contribute...

Blueberry said...

We did have the Wall 'O PCs, but gave it away recently on Craigslist. It all worked!!! Just not very useful, even for email. It filled up an entire truck.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Sounds cool. If I ever get to Austin will you take me there?

Blueberry said...

Sure will!