Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sunday Morning Honky Tonk Church

I was looking up Kitty Wells on wikipedia and realied that she was born exactly one week before my mother (in the same year). From that entry:
Her 1952 hit recording, "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels", made her the first female country singer to top the U.S. country charts, and turned her into the first female country star.
Kitty's still with us and is 91 now. I was raised on her music and still have a couple of old 45s, including this song:

I've added a few studio versions of this song to my old-timey jukebox. Emmylou Harris's is pretty sweet too.

2 comments:

Professor Chaos said...

Halelujah! I love this church!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

She's one of my old-timey faves too. "It wasn't God who made honky-tonk angels" is a certified pre-feminist classic!