Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Old Timers

I've been caught up in the work busies, spending a lot of hours at work and still trying to keep up with the day-to-days, including getting some rest.

We lost Levon Helm, so sad... loved his music (and a fine actor too), he was in his 70s and I used think that was pretty old - now that I've gotten my first Senior Discount it seems to young to go. Dick Clark also just died - a personality that we boomers grew up with. If these things come in threes (and that's all individual perception, of course), then my third one was Jonathan Frid, TV's Barnabas Collins on Dark Shadows, a show my mother and I watched every day. So wonderfully cheesy and addictive. I got to see him reciting some essays in a tiny, old theater, and got to meet him and get his autograph at a reception following that. It was pretty special.

Because of having to be at work, I didn't get to attend the unveiling of Willie Nelson's statue downtown. I love the fact that this beloved entertainer has gotten to unveil his own statue.

Here is a short spectator video of Willie performing a song that is rather on-topic when it comes to the passing of old favorites and celebrating their memory.

Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die

4 comments:

Connie, Orlando said...

Apparently many of us "boomer" women were saddened by the deaths of these 3 men. I did a little tribute to them on my blog, but the best was on Skydancing, here: http://skydancingblog.com/2012/04/20/jonathan-frid-1924-2011-the-original-reluctant-vampire/ Kathryn Leign Scott (Maggie/Josette) apparently read JJ's post & liked Skydancing on Facebook.

Blueberry said...

Very nice tribute!

I was very excited about the idea of a Tim Burton/Johnny Depp Dark Shadows, but now that I've seen the trailer I am dreading it a bit. One thing is for sure though, it looks to be sooo different from the original that there is no chance of it replacing the original in the minds of us old fans.

Connie, Orlando said...

I'm not a Tim Burton fan, but I have to confess that I'm intrigued. Jonathan Frid, Kathryn and, I believe, Lara Parker make cameos. Apparently Johnny Depp was a fan of the TV show as a kid. No, it won't be the same, but how could it be. We certainly aren't the same either as we were when we watched the show. I've moved on to Spike as my vampire love!

Professor Chaos said...

I'm so glad Willie got his statue while he's still alive. I always hate when they do tributes to people after they're gone. I'll never forget the look on Hank Aaron's face when they created the Hank Aaron award.