Monday, May 11, 2009

Star Trek TNO (The New One)

On Saturday we saw Star Trek at the IMAX (see it at an IMAX if at all possible, and if you haven't been to an IMAX before - do it - it is what it's cracked up to be), and we were very impressed by it. "Not your father's Star Trek" was a marketing slogan, but I would not completely agree, given that I am of the Star Trek generation it refers to. OK, it does lack cheesy special effects (which were considered good for that time period in the 60s) and mini-skirts on the bridge, but I thought the casting was inspired and the actors captured the essence of the original characters (when you consider that each one is a dude playing a dude playing a dude... sort of...). I am a fan of Star Trek The Original Series (TOS). I love those characters and the stories. Sorry, but I just never got into any of the spinoff TV series, not even Next Generation (TNG) and it's not for lack of watching them.

Truly, I don't really get why so many of the older fans don't like this one. Is it because certain things happened that deviate from the plot of some of the TV episodes? Hey - it's Star Trek. You can always fix that stuff later with a bit of time travel. Don't sweat it.

1 comment:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I'll see it on DVD and I'll probaly love it because it pisses off the Star Trek geeks.