Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Braggin'

Here's a song I heard on KUT this week, an older one from Billy Bragg with Wilco (and that's Natalie Merchant on backing vocals). It's an even older Woody Guthrie song. According to this wiki on Wilco, Nora Guthrie contacted Bragg to record some of her father's songs that he had been too sick to record himself. I hadn't heard it before, and the melody and the purity of it kind of got to me. Check out the song Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key

Here he is getting wonderfully political in a Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, accompanied by Austin's Own Ian McLagan (of Small Faces). He doesn't even sound like the same singer to me here.
Enjoy it! Waiting For the Great Leap Forwards

1 comment:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I love Billy Bragg. I'd have his love child if I could.