Thursday, February 18, 2010

What a day...


The big story that was all over the news today - the nut who burned down his house, left a note in his car saying he'd planted a bomb at the airport, and then flew his plane into an office building - happened just about a mile from where I work, and a much shorter distance from where MrB used to work. I disagree with those who say this wasn't an act of terrorism.

Some choice quotes from this kamikaze "patriot" and how he intended to shake up the system by martyring himself and taking the Feds (and some collaterals, he had to know) with him to Hell. These are from his suicide note/manifesto:
But I also know that by not adding my body to the count, I insure nothing will change.
...
...
I can only hope that the numbers quickly get too big to be white washed and ignored that the American zombies wake up and revolt; it will take nothing less. I would only hope that by striking a nerve that stimulates the inevitable double standard, knee-jerk government reaction that results in more stupid draconian restrictions people wake up and begin to see the pompous political thugs and their mindless minions for what they are. Sadly, though I spent my entire life trying to believe it wasn’t so, but violence not only is the answer, it is the only answer.

I was working in my windowless office at the time it happened, and didn't hear a thing. It's very insulated in there, can't even tell if it's raining.

I left work for a doctor's appointment for a case of tennis elbow that has been paining me for a month now. The doctor's office was just as close to the crash site as my office! The doctor gave me a cortisone shot *right* in the elbow. It hurt. But it starting hurting a lot worse when I got in the car to drive home. ow!! I had actually considered driving by the site to get a look, or maybe running an errand or two, but it was not to be. I've been one-armed and crabby all evening - waiting for the tylenol to kick in - and obsessing over this helluva day.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Gawd, there are crazy nuts everywhere! The unfortunate thing is that they can take so many others with them. I hope tomorrow's a better day.

yellowdoggranny said...

now texas will be in the news again...we have so many home grown nut cases...jeez..

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Of course it was a case of domestic terrorism.

Blueberry said...

I really hope some folks in the media start calling it out as terrorism - if the left doesn't grab this, the right will and label the guy as a liberal terrorist. He was NOT a liberal by any means. More teabagger than anything, but not a stereotypical TB either.

YDG: Unfortunately, most people will think he's a homegrown Texas nut, but in his manifesto he said he was from SF California, moved to Austin during the dotcom bust, so ~late 90s or 2000, and didn't like this town at all.

Not that it matters in the long run where he's from, but I get sick of people thinking I live in Nut Job Central. Those people need to look around. NJC is everywhere.