Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I have the potential of turning into a Browncoat.

Serenity will be out Friday and I am pretty psyched. I haven’t even seen all the episodes yet, but am very hooked trying to geek up and get ready. Here are a couple of sites that will guide you through the world of Firefly/Serenity:

Firefly wiki

Browncoats

It’s best described as a space western, not a new concept, I know, but very well done. It’s got great plausible interesting characters, an evil corporation, and mystery. It happens in a universe that you can transport yourself into, and it’s not a show about special effects. George Lucas, are you listening?

Also, it’s got a great theme song by Sonny Rhodes, who is a Texas Bluesman (lyrics by Joss Whedon). Not sure if he still lives here, I think not, but this little piece sounds very Texan to me, blues with a western twang. Listen at this click.

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me
There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me...


I have my husband to thank for turning me on to this show, we always seem to like the same things. Also, the Flick Filosopher, who has a great cross-post from the Captain himself on her blog about a lowdown, clueless comic book guy. Austin has a Serenity event, Alamo Rolling Road Show style with stars on hand and live poetry, on Wednesday... but if you want to go and don't have tickets it's too late. Sold out.

- - - -

No comments: