Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Buzz word

This is a discomforting site, even though buzzards (a.k.a. vultures, in this case it's "turkey buzzard") are very beneficial to our ecosystem as it's their job to get rid of the dead stuff that nobody else wants to touch. Discomforting because something is obviously dead back there.

This is a visitor that we had perching on our purple martin houses (click to enlarge, as always), and he was eyeballing something back there in the alley but we never found it. I guess he did his job right.

Another bird visitor that we've had, either a merlin or peregrine falcon, has managed to scare away (or kill) most of our regular birds! Here it is, Central Texas in Fall, this area is like a scene out of Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds', and we don't even have our grackles anymore.

Tags: - - - - -

5 comments:

BBC said...

Gobble, gobble.... Well, I figured that a turkey may as well drop in on you also. :-)

There are camp robbers that come to the pool at the hot springs, I keep forgetting to take chips with me for them.

FreakyNick said...

While I was out running this fall, a hawk flew just a few feet above my head in a dive for a morning dove that was on the ground by the edge of some bushes. It got its meal, feathers flew. It came from behind me and really scared me.

Right now, this area is becoming a thick with geese. Boy they are messy and noisy.

Undeniable Liberal said...

We actually had a wild turkey in our back yard not too long ago, and it's unfortunate that my daughter(who didn't know that turkeys can fly) didn't get a picture. The funniest of which would have been the turkey facing off the pitbull next door through the fence.

Blueberry said...

Geese ARE noisy. They make good watch-dogs...er...birds.

Blueberry said...

I guess we need to try and attract the BIG birds, too big for a falcon to handle. A yardful of wild turkeys would be fine with me. Bring on the wildlife! (except we've got enough mosquitoes, though. No more of those.)