Thursday, January 18, 2007

Brat Pack


PACK was not so much a roving band of critters as it was something you had to do a lot. Sometimes you'd pack, sometimes they'd do it for you, but in either case you were moving... a hell of a lot! Only another military kid can imagine what it's like to grow up with that lifestyle. When people ask where I'm from, I just say "The Air Force". It's a perfectly good answer, and the only true one. And by the way, I never heard that term "military brat" until I was well into civilian life, and I think maybe it was because I was the kid of a non-com. The word "brat", to me, goes with the word "spoiled" and believe me, I was not spoiled. Not even for a minute.

There is a new documentary out called BRATS: Our Journey Home, and at the link you can watch trailers, see the screening schedule, and a lot more. The film is narrated by Kris Kristofferson, who is one of us too.

Having this background is just one more thing that puts me in with a small percentage of the population. I live in the valleys of the bell curve in so many ways. It's a good definition of "eccentric" in my book.

Being raised non-com also added a layer of weirdness likely not experienced by officer's kids: that of being on the wrong side of a class structure - one that had nothing to do with color or creed. Maybe officer's kids had their own brand of weirdness.

Tags: - -

No comments: