Monday, February 12, 2007

I Heart You

They talk about those "Hallmark" holidays, the ones made up not only to sell cards but to sell MUCH more stuff... and so there it is. Another day where you can't measure up and can't do anything right. Both sexes (and/or parties) are victims of the retail pressure -- you'd better not show your face unless it's behind a dozen roses or a rock that costs a month's pay. I gave up on this "holiday" about 15 years ago when I discovered that my sweetie was even less sentimental about this stuff than I was.

It was before we were married. We went down to Cancun for a 4-day stay that included Valentine's Day. Our hotel was just gorgeous and there was a perfect beach view, great weather, great food, fresh-squeezed orange juice and breakfast every day by the water with our feet in the sand, brushing our teeth with beer (you can't be too careful!). When the day arrived, we exchanged cards, as we always do, by placing them where the other one will find it first thing in the morning like it magically appeared. The trouble we had on this particular occasion happened because he found my card, read it, and placed it prominently in the trash can. After the yelling subsided, mostly mine, it was determined by him that the card had served its purpose and did not need to be kept. Following that declaration, I went over some of the finer points about how the minimum level of politeness would require that you at least pretend that you are going to keep it long enough to dispose of it out of the person's sight... assuming you like the person, that is. [sigh] Well, we endured that and a whole lot more, much bigger challenges to a relationship, and seems to me that we are getting to the important stuff now. Whatever love may be, I am convinced in my heart that it's not the same as romance. It's dusty and gritty and frayed. All that candy and jewelry is meaningless. Don't take my word for it though. I'm as confused as everyone else.

I will leave you with one of my favorite players, Chris Thile, playing his composition "Song For a Young Queen"* with his new post-Nickel Creek band. It's a thing of unashamed beauty, written by an unbroken heart. Enjoy.


*recorded in 2001 on his solo album "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"

8 comments:

FreakyNick said...

Off-topic, but I thought you'd be interested: God, Darwin clash again in Kansas

Mando Mama said...

Hey Blueberry,
Glad you kept the best of the last 15 years...I did LOL at the mental picture of your great love unapologetically tossing the card in the trash. Manners aside, there's a point there.

THANKS for the clip. Made my extremely snowy, probably no school tomorrow Ohio day. When I grow up I want a mandolin like that (and if I can't play it myself maybe a nice young man like Mr. Thile to play it for me).

MM

Ellie said...

That is a perfect cactus you have there in your back 40.

beepbeepitsme said...

I think that cactus says more about love than any gushy valentine's card does.

We risk loving someone. The cactus displays the risks. It doesn't stop most of us though, and neither should it.

Undeniable Liberal said...

I love that pic!

Me said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous cactus.
I, too, am NOT sentimental. Glad to know there are a few others out there that don't buy into the crock of Valentine's.
Oh, the music vid is awesome. I love low-key productions, without the fancy mini-movies that so many have today.

pissed off patricia said...

Well I'll admit it, I'm all about romance any day but especially today because it's fun. I love it all. I am fortunate to be married to someone who enjoys sharing that fun with me. As for the cards, flowers, candy, balloons, etc....Bring 'em on!

That is one amazing cactus. Good for it, showing its heart to the world.

Michael Bains said...

That is just such a killer jam. So many different sounds creating all those incredible images . . .

Thanks for sharing this one Blueberry.