Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Price is Right

Look what I found! Guaranteed to give your butt a splinter, but it will look cool doing it.

Bulk trash pickup week can be kind of fun. Everybody puts out a real grab bag of sometimes interesting items. Stoves, washers, bicycles, who knows what. Usually we aren't fast enough to get hold of the stuff that may not deserve the landfill, but this time it on the next door neighbor's curb that I got this really rustic garden bench. It weighed a TON. I was trying to be discreet. I mean, it's hard not to feel funny about it... first, it feels like stealing when it really isn't... second, you're afraid you'll be caught dumpster diving... and third, it belonged to the next door neighbor so they will no doubt see it in the yard sooner or later. Anxiety. I tried to be careful, but now we have scrape marks on the sidewalk leading into our driveway. Oh well. Later that day, they saw it sitting there, so there's no mystery. We are exposed as the Sanford & Son of the block.

Matching the bench were two "bar stools", although it looks like they've been the victims of either teeth, tools or termites. I don't think they're fixable for sitting, so we will have to get creative about their ultimate destiny.

It must be the week for broken things because I turned on the kitchen faucet to fill up a saucepan this evening, and the side spray hose device flew apart, sending a geyser of water pounding against the ceiling. It can't be fixed. Another item for the trash pile... or another lawn ornament maybe? The last broken faucet is already out there. [snort]

5 comments:

Michael Bains said...

Heheh.. I could totally relate to your discomfort via the neighbors. Oy!

I'd have to give them something as a thank you for throwing it out. That bench really is just too danged cool! And it looks perfectly placed.

I don't know..? Baked goods?

Enjoy!

Me said...

I LUV it! When we moved here, we had to leave a few items behind (no room in the moving van).
The neighbors descended en masse BEFORE we were out of the driveway.
HILARIOUS!

Blueberry said...

It's demeaning for the scavenger to get caught... but only if they have any class. I have plenty of class. Trouble is, it's all low. ;-)

Mando Mama said...

LOL~ well, maybe your neighbors could find a way to use that faucet...

The stools are pretty cool...is that moss growing on them? I wonder if tomatoes or zukes would climb them if you put them in your garden?

Blueberry said...

Not sure what's growing on them I think it's mushrooms! Some kind of fungus anyway. Always a bad sign. {grin}