Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day

Here's hoping that if you spend time with your living father today, that your visit goes well and not marred by arguments or resentments. Neither of us have living fathers (or grandfathers, almost needless to say). My commitments on Father's Day consist of assisting these cats on "picking out a card" for their daddy-cat, and goodness knows these cats need lots of caretaking. They are our kids. We are those people (the ones who think that). His efforts and attitude are deeply appreciated.

I did get out my father's final paperwork, his death certificate and Certificate for dying while on Active Duty with the USAF. I also looked through his medals from WWII and various bars and pins. I don't know what they all mean. He died when I was (almost) 14 so I can't ask him about them. If I could offer advice to anyone, it would be to ask questions, write things down, and try to let love overpower the resentments. Difficult, especially if both parties won't do it. It's never easy, is it?

1 comment:

Peacechick Mary said...

One good thing about getting older, I mean really older is that it's easier to let go of the old grudges. I think when I really understood my own fallibility, then the anger with others disappeared.