Sunday, June 18, 2006

When I'm 64.... whooo!!

Well, I can hardly believe it! Pauly turns 64! This is not important to non-boomers (and surely not important to plenty of boomers), but it's hard to explain just how far into our very souls The Beatles resided, how many times we listened to their music, how many minutes a day were spent obsessing over them and their every little thing. I was still 10 when I saw them on Ed Sullivan, and was already pretty psyched up over them, but that was just one of those life-changing experiences. Actually John was my favorite, my first celebrity crush and all that, but they were all bigger than Jesus to me (and back then I was still a fan of Jesus). The Rolling Stones and others elevated to rival them soon after, along with a whole bunch of the British Invasion bands that I still love: Them (with Van Morrison), Zombies, Yardbirds, Searchers... so much water under the bridge... so many things from my childhood endure, so many do not.

The picture is my first oil painting, I was probably about 15 when I painted it. It's oil on watercolor paper, so I really didn't know what I was doing!

- - - - -

1 comment:

Ptelea said...

I had to read closely to make sure I wasn't reading about myself including watching the Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan at age 10, my fav - John and my rendering of musicians that I liked (I preferred pastels). We differ in that my art was never very good and it disappeared somewhere over the years. I wish I still had it so that I could see just how bad it was!!!