Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father Sun

[Slideshow of Stonehenge Solstice 2009 at BBC news] The caption for this picture quoted a man who claimed to be a Stonehenge Druid, and I am hoping a nice Druid and not one of those nasty cannibal types. Have you seen National Geographic's recent feature on new discoveries about Stonehenge and its creation? Fascinating stuff - pre-dates the Druids by quite a lot, and apparently the Druids just took it over at some point because it really is a pretty cool place. This day was called Midsummer from ancient time, and is still called that in many places around the world. I don't know how the day became designated as the first day of summer in the USA and other places, and I have to wonder why someone would pick the day that begins the shortening of the days as the BEGINNING of summer. Makes no sense to me. Anyway, Midsummer is always a day that I wish I could be "Pagan For a Day." Hey, I could very easily become a Pagan if it didn't involve having gods. At least their holidays are to celebrate very real earthly events, like the solstices.

As for real earthly events in this geographical spot, here's our weather forecast. That partly cloudy stuff coming later in the week is only going to run up the humidity.
[update: jun30: it ended up being several degrees hotter than predicted. whew!]

There are lots of activities coming up, but more and more I limit them in the summer. The Greencards play on Friday night (an outdoor show at Threadgill's) with Sarah Jarosz opening, and we are doing that for sure, but I believe that this year I will give a pass to KGSR's annual Fan Drive all-day concert at the same venue on the same day, because I don't want to be completely depleted from a whole day out in triple-digit heat. Here's the lineup at Threadgill's:
7am: Dean Seltzer
8am: Grupo Fantasma
9am: Rosie Flores
10am: Joel Guzman & Sarah Fox
11am: Kelly Willis
12pm: The Band of Heathens
1pm: The Gourds
2pm: Bill Carter
3pm: Surprise Guests!
4pm: Seth Walker
5pm: Bettysoo
6pm: Vallejo – Debuting their brand new single

...okay... tempting... now I am thinking I might scoot over there at least to catch Vallejo. Then I can coast into the evening after the blazing sun sets at 8:36 PM.

As for Father's Day around here, this is one of the cards received by the Dad of the house:

3 comments:

WeezieLou said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...................threadgills!!! been a long time. one year we went there for th'giving. it was awesome.

Blueberry said...

Fried okra (almost) like mother used to make! just less greasy. I was having one of those veggie plates with the greens and stuff, and Ray Benson (of Asleep at the Wheel) walked by and told me to eat my spinach. {grin}

T-gill's: Nice for those outdoor shows when it's hot because there's always the quick comfort of air conditioning.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love that card! So funny!:)