Thursday, June 04, 2009

From the bins

Well, I can't have a movie post without a note about David Carradine. So so sorry to hear the news about him. They are saying suicide [edit 6/6] erotic asphyxiation.

Here's a quick overview of a few recent DVD rentals (I keep my list waaay down there near the bottom on the right sidebar). I already ranted on and on about Slumdog Millionaire, so let's move on from there.

The Reader (2008)
This one is outstanding. One of the best pictures of the year, and deserving of the awards. Kate Winslet pretty much swept all the best female acting awards, and I don't disagree with that, but young David Kross (who plays Ralph Fiennes as a kid) was my favorite actor in this.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
This is the 2005 version with Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer. I never even heard of this before, and the movie name is kind of deceptive since it seems to refer to James Bond, but the movie has nothing to do with James Bond. This is a wonderful, dark comedy, violent with a twisty plot set in LA. Val Kilmer is gay in this (he does have a screen kiss but I wouldn’t call it a love scene). Anyway, this one was good, and I'd like to re-rent and listen to the commentary some day.

Changeling (2008)
The only negative comment I have on this is that it's really, really long and feels that way. Other than that, I really enjoyed it - partly because it's based on a true story that was fascinating. It's directed by Clint Eastwood, who also does a great job on the music. I liked Angelina Jolie in this better than any other dramatic roles I’ve seen her in, much better than A Mighty Heart (even with the extra cool factor of that one being filmed in Austin). AJ is a real natural for the action movies, and I love her in those (like Wanted and Mr. and Mrs. Smith) but this one really lets her turn on the emotions.

The Visitor (2007)
There are so many different things with this name... but this one is worth looking for. It's directed by Tom McCarthy, who also directed The Station Agent. It's a really good story about a man (played by Richard Jenkins) who finds meaning in life after unintentionally becoming involved with people from other cultures. An excellent story.

Seven Pounds (2008)
We are used to seeing Will Smith bringing some comic relief to almost anything he is in, but this role is not like that. This is a love story, and it will tear you up pretty good. the word "tear" has a double meaning there. It's a weepie. Hell of a story. Also stars Rosario Dawson and her beautiful lips.

Wow, now that was a somber and dark bunch. I recommend all these but am thinking maybe we should lighten up a bit.

3 comments:

Nava said...

Seen "7 Pounds" and "The Reader" on the flight back from Portugal. I now need to see them for real, not the cut-plane-adjusted version.

Both were superbly thought provoking, even as abridged flight movies.

Blueberry said...

Nava, I wonder how much they cut out? I don't think I've ever seen an in-flight movie.

Nava said...

Hard to say - I need to watch them for real to be able to compare. Plus, while on a fight, you get the benefit of interruptions and announcements at the most important moments of the movie... but it's the best way to kill time, so - !