Saturday, December 16, 2006

A Bazaar Day

This is the kind of weather we've been having. Nice. Very nice. In spite of that we attempted to escape to the Antarctic for an IMAX viewing of Happy Feet, but have to settle for Sunday on that -- sold out, and the next one was too!


We found our way over to the Blue Genie Art Bazaar, which I highly recommend! All local artists, some fantastic stuff that we couldn't really afford this month, but I found this great t-shirt for only $7!! I love it! Also picked up a truly weird lightswitch cover cheap... AND... it was free to get in... AND there was free booze! I had a couple of glasses of wine... AND no, I didn't need the wine to be persuaded to get this shirt. They had a DJ which I thought was more conducive to shopping than live music, a little Nancy Sinatra in the mix and my boots are made for walkin'.


We'd already planned to go to the Armadillo Christmas Bazaar, which is a very established annual tradition in this town. We usually end up going every year, mainly for the live music acts. It's $5 to get in, and this year we saw our friend Van Wilks, who was absolutely sensational! Yes, he's an excellent guitar player. He teaches guitar at the Austin School of Music, and also at "Guitarland" which is his own operation, and he had invited some of his younger students to show up at the gig and play for the crowd. Cutesters with their guitars and Santa hats. Anyway, the music is the best reason to go to this bazaar I think. It has the same shops every year, the same vendors, and many are not local. Also, no bargains. If it weren't for the bands I wouldn't even go. If you're visiting here in December it's worth doing. Year after year I would call it b-o-r-i-n-g unless you're loaded with money, except for the music. Just my opinion.

Tags: - - -

6 comments:

FreakyNick said...

Oh yeah. Great weather. The weather here in Bama has been wonderful also. I love the warm days and cool nights, no heat or A/C required. I don't know how people here can complain about the "cold". Even when it does get cold, it doesn't last. It gets below freezing here and people pull out parkas, I just have to laugh at them.

Sounds like a great time at the Bazaar. I would have preferred the music to the shopping, also. You are so lucky to live in Austin. Montgomery is so, so, uh, nothing. It's is just vacant of any culure, unless you like Christian culture (not for me). The only spark in town is a Shakespeare Theatre and park with a Fine Arts Museum, and it was created from a private estate.

Have a great Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I'm heading right over

TasteTV said...

TasteTV.com has a segment on what is called "The real Pick of Destiny, the Light Show Guitar Pick," that glows to the beat when you play with it. It's also supposed to make your performance more interesting, the sound quality better. You decide. It's cool either way. Watch it here on TasteTV.

Blueberry said...

Wow! It looks perfect for Air Guitar. I'd like some earrings like that too.

Fernando said...

I definately need to get out more.

Anonymous said...

Blueberry, I just love your site. You always have the most interesting places to visit.