Sunday, March 01, 2009

March roars in

It seems that Spring is here. It got up to 91° on Friday, then near freezing Friday night, and Saturday it was only around 60° with the wind blowing hard, gusting between 36 and 56 mph depending on your area. The wind blew the trunk lid of the car down on my head while I was putting something in it, even though Mr B was trying to hold it open (no injuries!). It was really difficult to walk against the wind. We managed to get blown into the the Austin Green Living Expo in the morning, into Koriente for lunch, and the new Farmer's Market on Manchaca.

In the afternoon, we went to the Grand Opening of Recycled Reads, which is connected to the Public Library and gives them an opportunity to make some money to help support themselves in these tough times. Watched Jon Dee Graham (above) and Jesse Sublett play a few tunes, and got a whole bag of books and a video for only $9 (the books were priced $2 for hardbacks, $1 for softcover and $1 for video). This is the video we got for a buck: Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes (2001) starring Mark Wahlberg, Tim Roth, Helena Bonham Carter and a cameo by Charlton Heston (uncredited) as Dr. Zaius. OK, I had drawn a near-blank on this one and had forgotten it existed, not to mention having never seen it. It looked like it might be a turkey, which is usually worth a dollar gamble. I have linked above to the wiki entry on it instead of the imdb, because the history of the making of this movie is fascinating with all the twists and turns and weird trivia, even an Oliver Stone factor. For once thing, it says that Tim Roth turned down the role of Severus Snape in favor of this role, and I have to say that although I love Alan Rickman, Tim Roth is MUCH closer to what I would have envisioned for Snape. I doubt if most people would agree with me, but that's my opinion. I loved Paul Giamatti in this, and have to say that when I see Kris Kristofferson in a movie, all I can think about is him as a musician even though he's a decent actor.

After one viewing of this POTA and without seeing any of the special features, I would say that it's not as big a turkey as expected, but the ending did baffle me. In fact, it was sometime today that I finally came up with a scenario that makes sense for it (time travel is such an open-ended brain-boggler - I love it).

Soon, we are headed over to Momo's for a benefit (one that lasts from 3pm to closing time, although we will only be there for maybe 3 hours). Should be good, even if the patio is going to be a bit chilly for a bunch of Texans.

No comments: