Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chasing the Moon

I am not at the J-O-B this week, so MrB encouraged me to try and get out to watch the Solstice Total Lunar Eclipse. Earlier in the evening we had walked outside, and the moon was shining bright in a clear sky.

I happened to wake up at the right time, so I walked outside in my PJs with an added sweater for modesty, because it really wasn't cold - 66°. Gorgeous night. Couldn't see a thing from the front of the house, so I went in the back... and peeking through a tree I could see the red glow. This was a leafy tree though, and really blocked the view, so I started walking. Realizing that I couldn't possibly walk far enough for a clear view, I walked back home and got in the car. Drove and drove around the empty suburban streets trying to find it again. There was another nutcase moon-chaser out there... parking in the wrong spots and walking around with his headlights off. (I think this definitely qualifies us as lunatics.) I drove around for a solid hour, miles and miles, frequently stopping the car to get out for a look and trying not to trigger anyone's security cameras. Couldn't see a damned thing in any direction. Our streets change direction a lot so I couldn't always tell which direction I should look... but saw nothing at all in any direction.

I probably should have just tried a gaze out of an upstairs window and let it go at that.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh well, you still had an adventure in the middle of the night. Plus you got a blog post out of it! Solstice blessings!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Stinkin' clouds ruined it for me here in TN.

Freida Bee said...

I couldn't see it here in Austin either.

Happy New Year, Blue!