Wednesday, December 15, 2010

X post facto

You know how us godless liberals are spitefully spelling "Christmas" as "Xmas" just to wage the War on Christmas? Heard that one? Well, according to Dictionary.com:
...the abbreviation predates by centuries its use in gaudy advertisements. It was first used in the mid 1500s.

X is the Greek letter “chi,” the initial letter in the word Χριστός. And here’s the kicker: Χριστός means “Christ.” X has been an acceptable representation of the word “Christ” for hundreds of years. This device is known as a Christogram.

I will keep using the "X" spelling though. It pisses off the religious right. Hee hee.

4 comments:

auditions-auditions said...

Hi,

Great post, I like this post.
I 've added your blog to My Friend's Blogroll at


http://auditions-auditions.blogspot.com


So would you put my blog too, on you...

you can get healthy traffic from us and our visitors can get relative and useful information from your blog.

Hope you would add my blog.
Thanks a lot.Keep blogging....

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I learned that the X in Xmas was an abbreviation for Christ when I was a little girl in Sunday School. It stunned me a few years ago when I heard right-wing religious wingnuts decry it as an attempt to "remove" Christ from Christmas. Ignoramuses! Learn the history of your own religion, for X's sake!

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

can I copy that and put it on my facebook?...I love it

Blueberry said...

YDG: Of course! If you click on the link in the post to dictionary.com there are more links in the text and goodies.