Wednesday, December 15, 2010

X post facto

You know how us godless liberals are spitefully spelling "Christmas" as "Xmas" just to wage the War on Christmas? Heard that one? Well, according to Dictionary.com:
...the abbreviation predates by centuries its use in gaudy advertisements. It was first used in the mid 1500s.

X is the Greek letter “chi,” the initial letter in the word Χριστός. And here’s the kicker: Χριστός means “Christ.” X has been an acceptable representation of the word “Christ” for hundreds of years. This device is known as a Christogram.

I will keep using the "X" spelling though. It pisses off the religious right. Hee hee.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I learned that the X in Xmas was an abbreviation for Christ when I was a little girl in Sunday School. It stunned me a few years ago when I heard right-wing religious wingnuts decry it as an attempt to "remove" Christ from Christmas. Ignoramuses! Learn the history of your own religion, for X's sake!

yellowdoggranny said...

can I copy that and put it on my facebook?...I love it

Blueberry said...

YDG: Of course! If you click on the link in the post to dictionary.com there are more links in the text and goodies.