Thursday, December 08, 2005

Locals get Grammy noms

By local I mean Austin, Dripping Springs, San Marcos, Luchenbach, etc.... there are plenty more Texans on the list and I can't begin to keep track of all of them, so I didn't even try. Also, I'm sure I missed some. (EDIT 12/12: Waterloo Records has compiled a list of Texan nominees, and they will be happy to sell you some!)(EDIT 2: they forgot Toby Keith! heh heh. I won't tell them if you don't)
5. Female Pop Vocal Performance: "It's Like That," Mariah Carey; "Since U Been Gone," Kelly Clarkson; "Good Is Good," Sheryl Crow; "I Will Not Be Broken," Bonnie Raitt; "Hollaback Girl," Gwen Stefani.
OK, Sheryl Crow... a new Austinite, she and Lance have supposedly set up housekeeping here. She's here for love, so welcome Sheryl. I know they both undoubtedly have houses all over the world.
7. Pop Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocal: "Don't Lie," The Black Eyed Peas; "Mr. Brightside," The Killers; "More Than Love," Los Lonely Boys; "This Love," Maroon 5; "My Doorbell," The White Stripes.
Los Lonely Boys made it in Austin. They wouldn't have made it without Austin and we still love them here and wish them the best of everything (myself included). It's very odd that their official bio doesn't even mention this town by name. Very odd. We claim them, and we should, but I'm not so sure the reverse is true. I'm just sayin'...
10. Pop Instrumental Album: "At This Time," Burt Bacharach; "Bloom," Eric Johnson; "Naked Guitar," Earl Klugh; "Belladonna," Daniel Lanois; "Flipside," Jeff Lorber.
My beloved Eric Johnson gets another Grammy nom! He's gotten nominated for each studio album and one live one since (and including) Ah Via Musicom, where he won one for Cliffs of Dover. My favorite guitarist, and a native in this town! Go EJ!
11. Pop Vocal Album: "Extraordinary Machine," Fiona Apple; "Breakaway," Kelly Clarkson; "Wildflower," Sheryl Crow; "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard," Paul McCartney; "Love. Angel. Music. Baby.," Gwen Stefani.

37. Male Country Vocal Performance: "Funny How Time Slips Away," George Jones; "As Good As I Once Was," Toby Keith; "Midnight Communion," Delbert McClinton; "Good Ol' Boys," Willie Nelson; "Alcohol," Brad Paisley; "You'll Think of Me," Keith Urban.
Willie Nelson! Why don't we just go ahead and name our highways and put up the statue while the man is still with us? Does the person HAVE to die first? There are a bunch of Texans on that list too, not that I'm eager to claim Toby.
38. Country Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocal: "Comin' to Your City," Big & Rich; "Play Something Country," Brooks & Dunn; "I Hope," Dixie Chicks; "Restless," Alison Krauss and Union Station; "Bless the Broken Road," Rascal Flatts.

39. Country Collaboration With Vocals: "Building Bridges," Brooks & Dunn, Sheryl Crow & Vince Gill; "Shelter From the Storm," Rodney Crowell & Emmylou Harris; "Like We Never Loved at All," Faith Hill & Tim McGraw; "Dreams Come True," Willie Nelson & Norah Jones; "Politically Uncorrect," Gretchen Wilson & Merle Haggard.

41. Country Song: "Alcohol," Brad Paisley, (Brad Paisley); "All Jacked Up," Vicky McGehee, John Rich & Gretchen Wilson, (Gretchen Wilson); "Bless the Broken Road," Bobby Boyd, Jeff Hanna & Marcus Hummon, (Rascal Flatts); "I Hope," Keb Mo, Martie Maguire, Natalie Maines & Emily Robison, (Dixie Chicks); "I May Hate Myself in the Morning," O. Blackmon, (Lee Ann Womack).
Dixie Chicks! Fantastic! Natalie just lives a few miles down the road, and the others I think just a few more miles. I Hope is a really great song.
55. Southern, Country, or Bluegrass Album: "Live at Brooklyn Tabernacle," The Crabb Family; "Sing Their Family Gospel Favorites," Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers; "Rock of Ages ... Hymns & Faith," Amy Grant; "Southern Meets Soul: An American Gospel Jubilee," The Jordanaires, The Light Crust Doughboys, Nokie Edwards & Larry "T-Byrd" Gordon; "Common Thread," The Oak Ridge Boys.
Larry Gatlin is local but you'd never really know it. It's not like he shows up in the same places I do. I really liked his stuff back in the 80s, but pretty much over it.
65. Traditional Blues Album: "Live! Down The Road," Marcia Ball; "In Your Arms Again," John Hammond; "80," B.B. King & Friends; "Sweet Lovin' Ol' Soul," Maria Muldaur; "About Them Shoes," Hubert Sumlin.

67. Traditional Folk Album: "Live From Dublin - A Tribute To Derek Bell," The Chieftains; "Come On Back," Jimmie Dale Gilmore; "Fiddler's Green," Tim O'Brien; "Live In The UK," Tom Paxton; "Cajun Mardi Gras!" Jo-EL Sonnier.
Marcia Ball! You go, girl! Love Marcia, she will make you dance your socks off. Her sound is very New Orleans, lots of Texas soul added.

I just bought that Jimmie Dale Gilmore CD and really like it. I was raised on those songs just like he was. Congrats to Jimmie Dale!

As for my own status, I'm told that I will need to live here about 15 years before I am really accepted as an Austinite, so I've got about 10 more. It helps to invest a little heart and soul into the experience too. People respect that, and it looks good on your application for citizenship! heh heh...

EDIT: I should add that some people only go by where you're born, and that's all there is to it. Let's just say I don't agree with that philosophy.

- - - -

No comments: