Saturday, December 03, 2005

Excellent start for December

Thursday, "Bring Back Maria's Arms" benefit

Thursday night was a very "Austin" night. We went to Maria's Taco Xpress for the benefit she was throwing to raise money to replace the arms on her statue. Some punk-ass jerks thought it be cool to climb up on her roof and cut them off.

Sara Hickman and Alejandro Escovedo played, and admission was only $10 which included a taco and drink. I have blogged on Maria's place before, but had not yet seen Alejandro play a gig there. He's a good friend of Maria from way back, donated the music stage there, and is part of the mural that's painted on the side of the building.

It was a chilly night (here goes the Texas whining on my part), 50 degrees or below and the show was outside. There was a fire-pit placed right in front of the stage, and a few propane heaters but we still had our jackets on. Also the sound was bad, (too loud and occasionally feedbacky) it was very crowded, and people were yacking their heads off... but it was still one of the most memorable times I've had for awhile. I've seen Alejandro quite a few times, but this time is my favorite -- hands down. It was just him on acoustic and the awesome Brian Standefer on cello. He only played about 5 songs, and the way he sang them was just so heartfelt. Just beautiful, and the setting made it seem like he was playing in someone's backyard. In the pic, that's Jody Denberg from KGSR leaning on the railing.

Alejandro has had some serious health problems for the past few years, and it's always great to see him out doing stuff and playing. He said he was going to LA the next day to begin recording his next album. He is one of our Austin treasures.

Friday, Austin Music Hall, KGSR Party

The Greencards return to Austin and Central Texas!! They came from overseas, but we claim them as Austinites forever. Their latest "Weather and Water" is a real desert island type disk. It's a treasure. I'm so proud of their success, I've always had faith in them doing well and things have gone even better than expected. Do check them out, they are generally compared to Allison Krauss and Nickel Creek, and I think that's fair on many points although their sound is their own. This was a private party thrown by KGSR at the Music Hall where you had to win tickets or know someone to get in.

The music was from 7:30 sharp until probably midnight, and not many breaks. It was The Greencards, surprise guest Buddy Miller, Kathleen Edwards (I need to get her new CD), surprise guest Michele Shocked, then finished up with an absolutely rockin' set by Rodney Crowell. The whole show just knocked my socks off! This pic of the 'Cards isn't great, but they didn't allow flash at the show, so we still used flash for a couple but kept a distance so as to not be as noticeable.

Saturday (today)

These cats actually let me get enough sleep. A beautiful day in store, temps in the 80s today and gorgeous. Tonight we will go and see "Walk the Line". I love Saturday.

- - - - - - -

3 comments:

Ellie said...

I so enjoy reading about the great level of music you witness and document on your blog. I always make it a point of remembering who you have seen so that if, by some chance, the artist tours though my area I can check them out. It's a rather an up and coming music critics page. It lets me know the very top of the line burgeoning musicians.

Jill Homer said...

You do have quite the advantage musically out there in Austin. Thanks for the post!

Blueberry said...

Wow! Thanks for reading, guys! Yeah, I love this place. I just try to describe my general impressions of things I do or things that happen. I would get out and do a lot more stuff if I didn't have to get up so early! ;-)