Monday, August 21, 2006

Old saws and quotables

[Foxholes] No earth-shattering news. Just a little good press for us godless types. You know, sometimes, when a phrase is uttered that many times ("There are no atheists in foxholes") people just believe it -- just because it's been said by so many people, including respected well-liked people. It ain't necessarily so.

I can think of another saying like that, and this one irks me too:

"That which does not kill me makes me stronger"

Bullshit! There might be cases where it makes you stronger if you get over it, but sometimes it just makes you real sick, or makes you wish you were dead, and sometimes you barely survive it and it grinds down your health or mental state and kills you later.

Don't believe everything you hear, even if your mommy told you so. [snort]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like one variation on that second one.

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/adversity.jpg

Blueberry said...

I love Despair! (despair.com that is) Brilliant stuff! Plus it's a local company.