Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Is this less insulting? A better comparison?



You can put lipstick on George Dubya Bush, and it's still him underneath it.

I had to chuckle at this "sexist outrage." She already compared herself to a pit bull with lipstick, and Obama was just using a metaphor that's old as the hills about putting lipstick on a pig (not as old as the hockey mom one she used, but both have been kicking around for some time).

I really think we're dealing with John McBush and Dubya Palin here. If the lipstick fools you, you're not looking deep enough.

(I'd rather kiss a pig on the lips than vote for McCain/Palin - with or without lipstick. It's a pretty thin disguise, you know)

ADDENDUM: The Rethugs are throwing a fit over the "pig" comment, but look who used it in 2007 referring to Hillary:
McCain criticized Democratic contenders for offering what he called costly universal health-care proposals that require too much government regulation. While he said he had not studied Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton's plan, he said it was "eerily reminiscent" of the failed plan she offered as first lady in the 1990s.

"I think they put some lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig," he said of her proposal.

And Obama used it like this in 2007:
'I think that both General Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker are capable people who have been given an impossible assignment,' Sen. Barack Obama said yesterday in a telephone interview. 'George Bush has given a mission to General Petraeus, and he has done his best to try to figure out how to put lipstick on a pig.

[source] [h/t]

8 comments:

Billie Greenwood said...

Blueberry, this is rich! Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh.

DrDon said...

I think I'd like to see any of these candidates, on either side, stop sniping and start taking the problems of this country seriously. And I like to see the citizenry stop being enamored with cute quips and "historic" moments and demand that these people provide some real answers to real questions. But I guess the news media will keep talking about lipstick and how much Obama Biden resembles Osama Bin Laden. You really just have to laugh at the demise of the United States.

Blueberry said...

I want some issues addressed too, but DrDon, a while back you said "McCain's choice was a good one for those of us who feel that if women want to run the country, they should at least look sexy doing it. :-)"
I know it was tongue in cheek, but this is in reality part of the problem. They've presented an attractive face on top of the same old hag, and people are being wooed by the beauty and charm on the outside.

DivaJood said...

Is there not ONE Republican that recognizes their contradictions? And, I don't like the shade used on Dub.

DivaJood said...

and I've tagged you.

Blueberry said...

Diva, would a shade of brown work better? ;-)

Mando Mama said...

I think I will vote for the candidate who can actually get lipstick ON the lips of a pig. At this point, it's probably the closest evidence we'll see of perseverence, tenacity, and results-orientation.

DrDon said...

Blue - guilty as charged. Trust me, I've got no love for Sarah. I think she is the same old crap. The fact that they won't let her answer any questions until they train her what to say is pretty telling.

I guess, all kidding aside, I'm just really disappointed in both side. I knew what I was getting with the Republicans but the Democrats have been a huge disappointment. They came in with all the enthusiasm of Barack and Hillary, running against an incumbent administration with historically low approval rating, and in the midst of a war and recession and they have still somehow managed to squander their advantage. The Democrats just don't know how to get elected. And it makes me realize that a politician is a politician is a politician.