Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Last Hurrah of Summer


Blogging has been light lately - sorry about that. I've either been buried under piles of work with deadlines -- hardly stopping to breathe, or puttering around here in my jammies, organizing photos and being a bum. No balance. I even missed Talk Like a Pirate Day! Arrrrrrr!

This weekend is our big end-of-summer event, the ACL (Austin City Limits) Festival. This thing is known for being brutally hot (the one year we didn't go, 2005, it got up to 108° but 100s are par for the course), and this year it is supposed to be only in the low 90s, so we are glad of that. I really have a love-hate relationship with this thing. Every year when it's over, it's like waking up with a hangover and saying "I'm not doing that again, I'm done" -- the HEAT, the CROWDS, the sound BLEEDOVER, long lines for everything! Gah!! ...but the year rolls around and we always want to go again. I got our passes this year through barter, so they weren't really free but nobody's bank account was affected either.

The main draw for us this year is Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. There's also Neko Case, Sparrow Quartet, Raconteurs, Gillian Welch... well, as advertised... 120 bands, take your pick.

As for the big debate, I may see it when I get home, provided McCain doesn't weenie out. What is he afraid of? I thought he was supposed to be favored. My reaction, before I heard what Obama said about it, was in sync with what he said. The President should be able to juggle the crises, whether they come at 3am or during banker's hours.

I welcome October, but this year... even more... I look forward to November.

4 comments:

Ingrid said...

Lucky you..Alison Krause and Robert Plant are apparently awesome together and what a great fusion that pair is! Last year dh got a free ticket for a backstage pass to the Killers (courtesy of a friend who works at IBM)so he had to buy me one. Of course, then he bought the cd as we both never had heard of them. It was pretty neat as we got to up to the side on the stage (kind of a lookover whatever you call it) and got reeall close. I took some pics last year that I posted. At any rate, have your camera ready, I wanna see some good pics! (we have early release day from school 'cause the parking lot that we use on Toomey road is really city property and it turns into heavy duty paid parking so I'm contemplating just keeping them home..it'll be a zoo tomorrow anyway..
hugs
Ingrid

Ellie said...

I'm with you on the heat, the crowds, long lines for EVERYTHING including the bus and sound bleedover. That's why I don't go anymore. I may again someday but for now after 5 festivals I've had enough. I will always fondly remember the first two which were the best 75,000 is just too many for Zilker Park when it was 35-45,000 it was perfect.

Blueberry said...

Those first couple of ACL festivals really were great. Those were how it's supposed to be... especially the first one.

Mando Mama said...

Now why doesn't PBS broadcast this, then I could see you on TV!! I remember loving to watch ACL as a kid. Have a blast, stay cool--looking forward to the reviews!

Coolness to you,
MM