Friday, November 03, 2006

First Thursday in November

First Thursday is an evening event on South Congress when there are craft vendors and musicians covering the sidewalks and the shops are open generally later. The neighborhood itself is struggling with events like these, with parking issues and whether or not this or that is permitted. It's a bit different in spirit every month, depending on the mood of the town, and this month attendance was fairly light because people think that 50 degrees is freezing.

We always see something we hadn't seen before, and one of them was this. The most beautiful art car I have ever seen! It was parked in an unlit parking lot and is only illuminated by the flash of the camera so there's no way I can do it justice. (click to enlarge, you gotta see this) Here's the view of it from the back side. It's entirely covered in mirrors, glass and beads. There a whole motorcycle on top, plus enough parts for a couple more, I suspect. There are two riders, and multiple horses in front, churning out of a frothy tangle of pipes, parts, and more horses. Extremely impressive. Horsepower!


We had a really good pizza at Home Slice, where there was miraculously no waiting (must have been the freezing temperatures outside). Looks like they have crayon amusement at the tables (we sat at the bar) as the bulletin board was full of "Draw Morrissey" artwork. Any age can participate, of course, and I really liked the one below, where 39 year old artist Robert Smith states, "You can't do Morrissey without a black crayon". So there, Home Slice.





After pizza we went over to Jo's Coffee as we usually do on 1stThu to listen to Gary Primich with Mike Keller on guitar. It's a fine blues outfit, Chicago style. Then we headed down the street. Will Sexton (Charlie's brother) had played earlier, and Reuben Ramos was now playing at Guero's in the courtyard. We moved along down the street where there was a really good band playing on the corner called Tapwater from San Diego. They were due to play at Ruta Maya later with the Resentments. Really good players, kind of a jam band with a zydeco flavor. So here comes this crotchedy older guy (older = "older than me") with this big heavy "get out of here now or I'm calling the police" line! This was right on the corner of (I think the name of the store is) Tinhorn Traders, and maybe he was the owner or something... but let me say this: I have NEVER not seen a band playing that corner on First Thursday. It's always a lively band that draws a crowd, all kinds of music, gypsy, zydeco, bluegrass, accompanying hula hoops, ribbon dancing, whatever. There are bands on the sidewalks of every block, every nook and cranny possible has street players working for tips. That is First Thursday, that is Austin... period.

So a bit of a sour note to end the evening there. I will check it out if possible, but don't see any further reason to ever buy another thing in that store.

I am personally enjoying these cooler temperatures, and it's fun seeing almost every dog wearing a sweater. (...and at First Thursday, possession of a dog is practically required.) It's nice to able to wear a sweater once in a while. Helllooo winter!! heh heh...

- - - - - -

7 comments:

Undeniable Liberal said...

Here in Michigan it is 26 degrees right now. If it were 50 degrees I would get my shorts on and start opening the pool. Or at least have a party on the veranda. ;-}~

Blueberry said...

Texans are real weenies when it comes to cold weather! They are just not used to it. It's comical sometimes.

Not that I am complaining. I love the mild winter. You can keep the snow. No more shoveling that stuff.

Ellie said...

What??? 50 Degrees ...Freezing Temperature outside.....
I beg to differ.
You are correct 50 is cool and refreshing.
That art car is absolutely fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Now I simply must head into Austin for First Thursday. Sounds heavenly.

Neil Shakespeare said...

I am very impressed by that car! Tres tres bon bon coool.

Blueberry said...

HCG: Next one is Dec. 7th. Should be a few extra holiday baubles available!
NS: I am in love with the car! Not sure it's street legal. maybe it will stay there awhile.

Anonymous said...

I think that's about the coolest art car I've ever seen. I used to go to the Art Car Ball when I lived in Houston, and this one tops anything I saw there.

I also like cool weather, which is part of the reason that I, a native Texan, no longer live in Texas.